Walmart Employee Killed 6 People at Virginia Store Before Taking His Own Life, Police Say

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

The gunman who killed six people at a Walmart store in Chesapeake, Virginia, was a store employee, police said.

Officers believe the gunman killed himself at the scene, per Chesapeake Chief of Police Col. Mark G. Solesky at a press conference the morning after the shooting.

Solesky said the gunman used a pistol, and appeared to have killed himself at the scene. He did not give an identity, saying the next of kin had not been informed.

The suspect’s home has been searched, Solesky said. He said police did not believe there was any further risk to the public.

“Four victims are in area hospitals with conditions unknown at this time,’ Solesky said.

Earlier, a spokesperson for the Sentara Norfolk General Hospital healthcare system told NBC News that five victims undergoing treatment. They did not release further details of their conditions.

Outlining a timeline of events, Solesky said that police received a call at 10.12 p.m. local time on Tuesday about a shooting at the Walmart supercenter.

The first officers were on the scene two minutes later, and they entered the store at 10.16 p.m., Solesky said. The scene was declared safe at 11.20 p.m.

A police spokesman at the scene Tuesday night told the media that the shooting occurred inside the store, but that at least one person was found dead outside.

A man named Kevin livestreaming from what appeared to be the parking lot described the shooting. In the video, the speaker wears a Walmart uniform and claims that the shooter was “one of the managers.”

Solesky did not confirm this when asked at the Wednesday press conference.

“Bro blew his brains out and everything,” the man said, appearing to describe the gunman killing himself.

In further conversation on the video, he and others named people they said had been killed. Authorities had not released any names or details as of early Wednesday.

Chesapeake city officials asked people to not go near the Walmart while the investigation was underway.

The FBI’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives said on Twitter that its Washington division was working with the Chesapeake police department on the investigation. FBI agents were pictured at the scene.

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.