Life

Kentucky Governor Publicly Apologizes for Falsely Accusing a Man Named Tupac Shakur of Trolling

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Last month, a 46-year old Kentucky man named Tupac Shakur — no relation to the legendary rapper — tried to file for unemployment after the restaurants he worked at, Lexington’s Alfalfa’s and Lynagh’s restaurant, closed down due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

He was turned down, largely because the state thought the man was scamming for unemployment. Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear addressed the incident in a press conference on Monday.

“We had somebody apply for unemployment for Tupac Shakur here in Kentucky,” Beshear said. “That person probably thought they were being funny, they probably did — except for the fact that because of them, we’ve got to go through so many other claims, and one person thinking that they were funny, using somebody else’s identity, is going to make tens of thousands … of other people wait.”

On Tuesday, Beshear apologized after finding out Shakur is a real Kentucky resident.

“I talked to him on the phone today,” Beshear said. “I apologized, I told him how it happened. But it’s my fault. He was gracious. I said I’m sorry if I embarrassed him or caused him any attention he didn’t want.”

According to CNN, Shakur currently goes by Malik. Beshear said the state will ensure that Shakur’s claim is resolved.

Write A Comment