Hulu on Wednesday released a new documentary special — “Astroworld: Concert From Hell,” which recaps the deadly events at a Travis Scott festival in Houston last month — but quickly pulled it from the service after a social-media backlash.
The news special was produced by KTRK, ABC’s owned-and-operated local affiliate in Houston. The 50-minute documentary can be viewed at this link.
A rep for Hulu said “Astroworld: Concert From Hell” was removed from the service because it was not properly branded — the way it was presented and promoted made it look like the feature was a Hulu original, which it isn’t.
In a widely circulated tweet about the special, one commenter — who assumed the “Concert From Hell” program was produced by Hulu — said, “Hulu making a documentary about Astroworld is in poor taste all around. People are still burying their loved ones. The legal cases haven’t even started. Great documentaries are done when all the facts are laid out. Not enough time has passed to fully discuss this.”
Astroworld: Concert from Hell is now streaming on Hulu. pic.twitter.com/O8fqQkgIQh
— SAINT (@saint) December 2, 2021
The description of the special that is still on Hulu’s site says: “Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival was supposed to be the concert of a lifetime. But it turned into a tragic nightmare. A minute-by-minute look at what happened in the crowd, the young victims who were killed, and what happens next.”
On Nov. 5, Astroworld turned tragic during Scott’s set when the crowd of 50,000 people surged, resulting in a panic that has left 10 dead.
Fans were quick to point out the perceived tastelessness of churning out a documentary about a tragedy so soon after it happened.
Me trying to figure out how Hulu made a whole astroworld series in 3 weeks pic.twitter.com/b5x2AdPT3Q
— Pizza Dad (@Pizza__Dad) December 2, 2021
The devil works fast but I promise Hulu works faster pic.twitter.com/07c9XzrBsr
— Arlong (@ramseyboltin) December 2, 2021
First Breonna Taylor now Astro World y’all need to learn some tact at Hulu godamn https://t.co/gTErhbP9Ig
— Y2Kay (Don’t forget the “-ay”) (@MillenniumY2Kay) December 2, 2021
Many were baffled at the Disney-owned streaming service’s choice to launch a series for an incident whose victims have not even been laid to rest yet.